Jun 12, 2007

Natural Beauty

I took this picture in Asheville and I think it's so beautiful. Just the way the vines grow up the wall naturally and the graffiti on the walls is like art for free. Here, in the suburbs, I am surrounded with drab grey buildings and chain restaurants galore. There is not individuality to any of it and it dulls the senses.

Lately I have been feeling so opposed to our commercialized culture, the way that people just want everything to look so polished, and they only care if it's a product that can be marketed. I know that sometimes I am a walking contradiction of myself, with my name brand clothing or my beauty products that I can't imagine giving up. But I am thinking of ways I can take myself out of this cycle of making money only to turn around and spend it on things that don't bring me any true happiness.

I have been in my current house now for 6 months, thinking that would be the home that I would stay in for at least a few years. After previously feeling like I would never get my things out of storage and set up in a new place that was mine. I hoped and was promised this would be the time and the place I would have a baby in, a place that would be home. And now, with another move in the near future, having to rent the house and face the loss of dreams, I am feeling very much like purging.

It's a contradiction of self because while I love all the stuff that ads to the beauty and comfort of my home, I don't need it. It is feeding a part of me that maybe needs to be let go, to run wild so that I can emerge lighter, more free.

I am done searching for the money to have the things that in the end have to be moved or sold and a life that offers only false sense of security. The only real security we have is in within us and who we hold dear to us. The relationships that we nurture and give our love to. At the end of the day I want to be able to exist with less and take myself out of the cycle of falling prey to the corporate world. I would like to only buy handmade, used, or trade items for a year to see if I can make it. I would like to only use natural products that are not contributing to harming the earth. This is something I have gradually done but not a lifestyle change I have ever been ready to commit to, until now.

7 comments:

Scarlett said...

hheeeey there...i can really relate (ha! again!) to what you are saying here. i too have been purging alot lately. trying to get to a more simplistic living mode, only keeping the things that really do give me comfort and joy, but not being owned by them...hhhhmm. it's tough cuz I like to collect things! cool things, of course! clothes, boots, hahaha, i'm a thrifter, so it's fun you know, the hunt!

lately because of war, the way the world is going - not to mention the fact that my kids (i say "kids" plural like i have actually have two but i have my son and his girlfriend, and they will marry so i call her my daughter, so....) I'm apalled and saddened somewhat by the way we have "become" as people ...what is the future going to be like for them?

i started a little blog about living more "green" and environmentally aware and healthy. please look at some of the links, and ideas! you might find it inspiring! Well, i hope so anyway!

www.consciouslygreen.blogspot.com

take care of you and keeping finding all of that natural beauty around you!!!
xoxo

kelly barton art + design said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

:)

hello a.

nice post, and i love the picture. i wonder who's in the other side of that window. i'm so curious when it comes to windows, can't help but imagine what's on the other side.....

if you know, please! tell me :P


{.}

Cayden said...

I am on the same path with you. Love your pictures of Asheville- so beautiful.

love C

Amanda said...

Soon you can take your own:)
xx

Amanda said...

Alma,

I wish I knew who was behind that window...we were wandering the streets in the very early morning hours:)
So...someone up very early or still up late like us!
love.
a

sara said...

you are golden amanda. i have seen you grow so much since i first met you. you have made me take long, hard looks at myself as well. for that i am forever grateful. natural beauty is how i describe you. not only are you flawless on the outside, your inside outshines anyone i have ever known. so who cares about those clothes or makeup- what you have is already natural. i love you.