Mar 18, 2007

An Open Door

a very raw picture of me. i feel safer posing.

This morning while waiting for our table at my favorite yummy breakfast spot, we walked down to a little art boutique. They carry all sorts of amazing creations by super talented artists that are mainly local to the area. My boyfriend looks over at me and says that this is exactly the type of place he can see my work in. Our friends interjected and started saying how much they agreed and how wonderful my cards are. The owner came over and told me to please bring by whatever I have and see if it would be a good fit for the shop. I immediately hesitated and felt shy to even be considered as an artist. Sensing my insecurities about the attention on my work, she offered inspiration, recounting how many other artists she meets with that are terrified in the beginning stages. She had one girl with tears in her eyes as she brought her clay pieces in to be seen for the first time. I don't know that I will take anything back this week, but I do know that her kind words made me feel safe enough that I will eventually take my cards back there.

The whole conversation with her goes along with the third week of The Artist's Way
, which is all about feeling shamed and criticized as creatives. Being scared by the possibility of success. Overcoming the fear that what I have to offer the world is in no way comparable to what anyone else has to offer, because we are all built differently. We are all individuals creating from different places in our lives with different perspectives. I think sometimes I would like someone to be on this journey with me. Right beside me, in my shoes, every step the same, so I could ask questions, seek protection, feel like I am heading in the right direction.

But, I know that's not possible. This journey is mine and already doors are opening that I won't turn my back on this time.

Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it. Julia Cameron

3 comments:

Stacy said...

if that's not a sign that you are on the right path, i don't know what is! I really hope you bring your cards in to the shop owner. i can feel so many good things coming your way.

Stacy said...

forgot to mention how much I love that photo of you by the way. you are too gorgeous!

daisies said...

you definitely should take your cards in to the shop owner ... doing that which fears you can bring you the most satisfaction i think ~ now if only i could take my own advice, lol ...

what a beautiful photo, you are absolutely gorgeous : )