May 18, 2007

Our Sacred Inner Life

Pewter Letter l o V E

fun with flicker

I was sitting at work this afternoon listening to these two women talk about their lack of time for themselves. Neither really listening to the other, one talking over the other. About how there is no time for pedicures, no time for the gym, hair appointments spent with computers in their laps, ear pieces in their ears at all times...One lady had this amazing necklace on, when I asked her about where she got it, she said she designed and made it...Oh, how wonderful you do that, I tell her. She responds with more negatives about how there is no time for something that is fun and therapeutic for her. She said she has two kids, too many things to take them to do. I feel like if our children don't get to see us enjoying hobbies or really living life, how will they learn to appreciate it either?

I am sitting here thinking about how many other women must feel this same way. How many of us are run ragged, trying to just get through the menial day to day tasks. And I have made a vow to myself...

I will always put my health, my well-being, and my soul's desires before trying to meet outward expectations that offer no real happiness.

I don't like to be financially struggling all the time, I also find it much easier to live as a creative when I'm not under financial pressure. Because of this I've come to accept that having a job in the background is essential for me right now. But I just never want to lose myself in a fast paced, technology driven world that leaves no room for digging deep and feeling life.

My mom sent me an amazing article that actually talks more about this subject of outward vs. inner life. I loved what I read there if you want to take a peek.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You speak to me. D.C. life is too fast- not enough time to be near the earth, feel the grass press against your body as you bask in the sun of life. I always love your words. I celebrated your being on your birthday, but I also celebrate it everytime I get the chance to catch up with your blog- to reconnect with your soul. You amaze me. I will also vow to put my health, well-being and soul's desires first. How refreshing.

Corinne said...

how was your birthday?

people like that make me feel really.. i dont know. hopeless. not for me, but for them. to constantly focus on the negative and complain just evokes anger and negative feelings towards life. my voe to myself is to try and make the best out of everything. seek the positive under the negative and i have become a much happier person since ive started to do this.

=)

Stacy said...

Thanks for sharing that article. I liked when she said,

"The soul doesn't evolve or grow, it cycles and twists, repeats and reprises, echoing ancient themes common to all human beings. It is always circling home"

Makes one think....

xoxo