Dec 12, 2007

Releasing the Pain



my spine and all its unnatural curves have never been something i really focused on. when i was little, my doctor would tell my mom i needed to dance or swim. doing exercises to strengthen my core muscles and elongate my spine. so i danced. because i loved it. not really understanding the benefits that it brought into my life.

until i stopped. and the pain intensified.


it wasn't until after college that i even saw my first chiropractor. growing up always going to traditional medicine doctors, i never even considered acupuncture or energy healers as an option. i would, once in a while, book an appointment at a spa, always leaving relaxed, but disappointed in how my body felt afterwards. i even got to the point where i had injections of steroids into my spine in order to ease the pain, following up with pain pills afterwards that always left me feeling depressed and lethargic. hiding the root of the problem and masking the pain for awhile, only to have it come back stronger in a few months. i would get so upset with my back. i still sometimes fall into that pattern. truly mad at the level of pain i experience and how it affects the day to day life. how hard it is to smile and be happy, when i really want to, but i can't seem to smile through the pain.


Since coming here and working with an amazing massage therapist (*who happens to be the kindest man that i am in love with*), i have been introduced to so many new techniques to manage my pain. it's a been such a change for me to go deep inside for my healing.
he works with me to not only manage it, but to heal it. one day at the store i was so tight and just feeling like all i wanted was to be taking a pain pill and laying down in bed. that's when he says to me that i held the power to heal my back. to be honest, at first i was nothing but irritated. he's a healer. a neuromuscular and deep tissue massage therapist. and he's telling me that i can do my own healing???

it's not until i am lying down and he begins his work on my back, that i get this sense of the energy in my back actually having a life of its own. i can feel it moving and i can understand that if i don't take an active part in loving my back, sending it good, positive healing thoughts, stretching every morning, mediating, then i will not heal. i actually experience visions while he is working on me. i go back to the times in my life, when my heart was so heavy and my mind so thick with frustrations and i release. i have visions of a tree above my spine, its roots all tangled and digging into my back. the roots are thick and tight. as i breathe out i can picture them releasing some, loosing their grip, relaxing into my back and being healthy. it is so empowering to me that i really do have the tools within my energy body and my physical body to heal.






3 comments:

Cayden said...

just beautiful~this experience

It is so healing you have found this way to connect with your body. I know this pain has been a constant, enduring path.

the image of the tree connected to your spine filled me with such a calm. I often image my body connected to the earth as I lay on the ground. There is obviously so much strength and nourishment from nature~thank you for reminding me of this.

Scarlett said...

OOOOOooooo i'm so happy for you going through this process, the healing can take place...you're really taking care of yourself!
i found out about 7 years ago that i have a slight scoliosis in my spine as well. this after two car wrecks (hit broad side, and from the rear!) x-rays, and chronic neck and back pain for years...i still struggle with it...but...getting therapy, and visualization and yoga have helped tremendously. keep up the good work, girl! everything's unfolding beautifully, eh?

Kate UF said...

I am feeling for you Amanda...I hope that there will be a day when you can't remember the last really bad day of back pain.
I'm a dancer and I often feel thankful that the dancing has strengthened me throughout my life because I am sure that genetics aren't completely on my side...when I see my Mum having back pain, I would do anything to help her.
Enjoy your time at home and feel well!
Besos